AQSG publishes an annual journal of the papers presented at our Seminar. Each issue of Uncoverings premiers essays that represent the most recent advances in quilt and related research. Featured papers have covered areas such as cultural roles associated with quilting and quilters, period analysis of quilting, and studies on quilt media. Each softbound volume includes both color and black and white illustrations. All members receive a copy of Uncoverings as a member benefit. Members at the Associate level and above receive two free copies of Uncoverings each year.
Past issues of Uncoverings that are available for sale are listed here.
Further information about submitting articles to Uncoverings may be found here.
Search for Uncoverings Articles
There are two ways to search the Uncoverings Database for articles of interest to you.
- A searchable index of Uncoverings articles is in Excel format for you to download. Please view the Uncoverings Excel File Tutorial to learn how to use the Excel File. Then access the Excel File. If you have any questions about the how to use the Excel File, please contact Jean Carlton at firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject "Uncoverings Excel File.
- You can also do a Quick Web Search using the online database. You will be able to type in a word or short phrase for the search. You can also search by author. The quick Web search forms are located on the "Search Uncoverings Articles" page.
Blanket Statements is the AQSG quarterly publication. Issues contain at least one research article, AQSG information, research notes and queries, quilt world news, and places to go. All members receive Blanket Statements as a member benefit and may choose to receive color copies by e-mail or black and white copies by mail.
AQSG produces five Technical Guides providing information on conducting oral interviews with quilters, quilt care and conservation, researching the lives of quiltmakers, dating quilts, and quilt documentation. The Technical Guide Series was updated in 2002. The 8 1/2" x 11" guides vary in length from 4 to 8 pages and contain black and white illustrations. They are perfect additions to your guild or personal library.
AQSG's Technical Guide Series:
- #1 Tracing the Quiltmaker: Using Online and Traditional Sources by Deborah Cooney - $3.00
- #2 Collecting Stories: The Oral Interview in Quilt Research by Marsha MacDowell - $3.00
- #3 In Your Care We Trust: Caring for Quilts by Fonda Ghiardi-Thomsen - $3.00
- #4 Dating Antique Quilts: 200 Years of Style, Pattern, and Technique by Barbara Brackman - $3.00
- #5 Quilt Documentation by Nancy Hornback - $3.00
You may purchase Technical Guides through the AQSG office (402 477-1181). If you prefer to order by mail, you may print the PDF Order Form and send it to: American Quilt Study Group 1610 L Street Lincoln, NE 68508-2509.
An annual directory, a member benefit, lists the names, contact information, and interests of current AQSG members. The directory also serves as a member handbook containing our Mission, By-laws, and Policies and Procedures.