What is Seminar?
AQSG's feature event is our annual Seminar. Held in a new location every year, Seminar brings quilt enthusiasts and scholars together for a weekend engaged in quilt study. In addition to the presentation of research papers chosen for publication in Uncoverings and a renowned keynote speaker, Seminar offers pre-conference tours, roundtable discussions, study centers, and a poster session, all directed toward the interests of quilt lovers. Other events include a book signing featuring famous authors of quilt history; a live and silent auction of quilt treasures; show-and-tell of remarkable quilts, textiles and related items; an on-site quilt exhibition; and the sale of vintage quilts, textiles and sewing tools from member dealers all over the country.
Seminar presents the opportunity to view quilts from new perspectives, discuss aspects of women's and cultural history, learn the latest in documentation and research, as well as the chance to mingle with authors, quilters, teachers, and quilt community leaders. AQSG's Seminar guarantees a unique learning experience for everyone with a connection to quilts.
Call for Panel Paper Abstracts
Abstracts due February 1
AQSG will hold a panel paper session at Seminar, where participants can present their quilt-related research to fellow Seminar participants.
Up to two 90-minute panels will be offered, consisting of three 20-minute, peer-reviewed scholarly presentations.
For many academic disciplines, panal paper sessions are an important conference component, and are often the “norm” for disseminating research findings.
How Do I Participate?
- Submit a 250-word Abstract and CV by February 1 to Marybeth.email@example.com
- Abstracts will be reviewed by Panel Program Committee members in a double blind process (both submitters’ and reviewers’ names will be kept confidential from one another).
- Submitters will be notified of decision after peer-review is complete.
- More specific information will be available closer to the Seminar date.
Call for Poster Session Submissions
Poster Session at AQSG Seminar
Abstracts due May 1 each year
What Is A Poster Session?
- A poster session allows members to present their quilt-related research to fellow Seminar participants.
- A poster presentation is a focused display of a research question, literature review, research methods, and results.
- The AQSG poster session hosts multiple research presentations at the same time, and encourages conversation between presenter and audience in a relaxed, salon format.
- For many academic disciplines, poster sessions are an important conference component as many people can share their research in one time slot with interested attendees.
How Can I Participate?
- To be considered for the Poster Presentation Session, submit an Abstract by May 1 to Marybeth.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abstracts are 200-word “research snapshots” that describe briefly the research being undertaken.
- Abstracts will be reviewed and selected by members of the Publications Committee in a double blind process (both submitters’ and reviewers’ names will be kept confidential from one another).
- The amount of space available at the Seminar venue may affect the number of abstracts accepted.
I Still Have Questions About Research Posters…
For those unfamiliar with poster sessions, participants generally prepare a display consisting of a large poster or various sheets of information that can be pin-mounted onto a standing display board. Presenters may also have a PowerPoint slide show or videos on their laptop, collections of pertinent items, and handouts.
AQSG proudly recognizes these Sponsors of Seminar 2015
- Kathryn & Larry Bernstein
- Pete & Linda Claussen
- Marianne Fons in honor and recognition of Quilter Vonda Davis
- The Robert & Ardis James Foundation
- Land of Lakes Quilt Study Group
- Lone Star Quilt Study Group
- Midwest Fabric Study Group in honor of Xenia Cord
- Minnesota Quilters, Inc. and Minnesota Quilt Project
- Professional Association of Appraisers - Quilted Textiles (PAAQT)
- Quilts Plus
- Quilt Quarters
- Quilters of Indiana, in memory of Marguerite Wiebusch
- World of Quilts Travel/Deb Roberts' Tours
Thank You to the 2015 Seminar Committee
Seminar Co-Chairs: Theresa Arnold & Mary Persyn
Welcome Event: Judy Barmann, Libby Smith, & Mary Jane Teeters-Eichacker
Study Centers: Amy Korn
Vendor Sale: Sharon Pinka & Joy Swartz
Auctions: Pat Essex, Katha Kievit, & Gretchen Schultz
Book Sale: Judy Biggs, Connie Chunn, & Linda Inabnit
Tours: Xenia Cord
Show and Tell: Lauren Spaulding
Registration & Hospitality: Janette Dwyer & Ruth Pedigo
Exhibits: Susan Bengtson, Xenia Cord, Donna Kooistra, Michelle Marciniak, & Sara Schamerloh
Audio-Visual: Peg Bingham
Table Decorations: Vicki Hodge
Save the Date
Seminar 2016 September 14-18 in Tempe, Arizona.
Seminar 2017 October 18-22 in Manchester, New Hampshire.
For highlights from Seminar 2014, please click here.
For highlights from Seminar 2013, please click here.
For highlights from Seminar 2012, please click here.
For highlights from Seminar 2011, please click here.
For highlights from Seminar 2010, please click here.
For highlights from Seminar 2009, please click here.
For highlights from Seminar 2008, please click here.